Gender inequality in the workplace
Discrimination based on gender has become rampant in the world with the most incidences being experienced at the workplaces. In the workplace, the human resource practices do enact harmful gender inequalities through policies, and decision-making processes. Such practices affect hiring, pay, promotion and training of men and women in the labor market. They promote the notion that women and men are not equal. The unequal treatment of persons due to the socially constructed norms and myths has affected workplace operations.
In terms of pay, gender inequality or sex discrimination arises where every dollar earned by a man, a woman earns less by 33 cents on the same job. Gender discriminatory pay sprouts from structural imbalances aligned to gender segregation by departments, networks, and job ladders. Overrepresentation of the female gender on some sections makes that sector a lower status area. In spite of several advancements by international bodies to eliminate gender segregation in the labor sector, such efforts have borne little fruits. However, the low educational status of the female gender plays a major role in forming the basis for discrimination by employers. Society has framed women as the weaker gender. As a child is born, his/her life is directed from the colors to ascribe to, how to behave as one belonging to a certain gender and the roles to play. The traditional mentalities still evolve within modern workplaces despite women making strides in attaining equal qualifications.
Gender roles played by women such as child and family care forces women to take long leaves from work or leave work at the official working time. However, many businesses prefer their employees to undertake overtime to complete and meet targets. This calls for workers to put in long working hours which on the men’s side would be welcomed contrary to the females. The excessive commitment required by employers is the key cause of the unending gender inequality in employment. Many women become disadvantaged to work under such conditions.
Majority of workplace structures and patterns of interactions inadvertently favor men. The psychologically and socially inbuilt strength that men are to possess presents them as the leading gender. Society perceives women as the feeble gender thus, subordinate to men even in the workplace. Females are considered to lack in leadership skills making them have a low bargain while rendering their labor. On the other hand, a large population of women has a low educational qualification which allows them to access low-paying jobs in the service industry. Moreover, the dire need to provide for their children places them at the disadvantaged end of the employers who utilize the cheap labor to maximize their profits.
In addition, an organization’s corporate culture does affect the equity and equality of employees. Some places create a hostile culture that only the males can survive intimidating the women. The non-linear career paths identical to women due to maternity leaves and other non-payable house chores requires flexibility in hiring agencies. Such attributes identical to women have been used to deny the female gender authority, managerial or supervisory positions.
Gender inequality has detrimental effects on society, the economy and human development. A favorable climate for diversity sets in with fair treatment of every person regardless of the socially ascribed roles based on one’s sex. Equality in the workplace is essential to prevent the occurrence of abuse like sexual harassment, underpayment, and bribery. Strict setting and enforcement of rules that uphold gender equality in an organization especially the human resource section should be mandatory.
Gender Inequality Essay Topics
1. Gender and Economics: Gendered Pay
The implications of pay differences among men and women in different industries.
2. Gender and language: Masculinity versus Femininity
A discourse analysis on the masculinity and femininity of certain languages that trigger gender inequality.
3. Gender Inequality in the Society: Theory and Practice
Building a discourse on gender based on different theoretical bases.
4. Battle of the Sexes: Male and Female Dichotomy
This gender essay topic will focus on he competition between male and female in different aspects of the society.
5. Dealing with Patriarchy: Where is Equality?
Defining patriarchy and how it takes away equality.
6. The Feminist Stigma: Why Men are Afraid of Feminism
This gender inequality essay topic will delve deep on the concept of feminism and why it is misunderstood by the society.
7. Feminism and Intersectionality: Why it Matters
The importance of intersectionality in a gender sensitive community.
8. Gender Discrimination: History and Culture
Historicizing patriarchy in the context of culture.
9. Men Over Women: Why Men are Perceived Superior in the Society
Gender roles in the society and the superiority of the male character.
10. Gendered Employment: Men versus Women in the Workplace
Why men are still favored over women in the society.
11. The Rise of Feminist Ideology in Contemporary Society
Explaining feminist ideology in theory in the actual conditions of the society.
12. Gender in Capitalism: Capitalizing on the Gender Struggle
How capitalism uses the issue of the gender struggle in forwarding their capitalistic intentions.
13. The Gender Struggle: The Strife for Equality in the Society
Who affects the gender struggle? Why does equality matter in the society.
14. Race, Gender and Culture: Defeating the Dichotomies
These three aspects of the society are the main reason why discrimination continues to flourish and makes the concept of inequality seem to be far-fetched.
15. The History of the Patriarchy: Tracing the Roots of Gender Inequality
Identifying the roots of patriarchy in the society, putting focus on the male privilege.
16. The Rise of Female Agency: The Role of Feminism in Women’s Rights
Female empowerment and women’s rights as the actualization of women in the society.
17. 1st to 3rd Waves: Feminism over the Years, the Good and the Bad
Explaining the different waves of feminism and laying out the details of the intentions of each wave.
18. Misogyny and Sexism: Why it Continues to Happen in the 21st Century
Laying down the roots of misogyny and sexism in the contemporary society.
19. Misogyny: Internalized Hatred for Women
Identifying misogyny as a trait in individuals triggered by different aspects of society, history and culture.
20. The Value of Women Empowerment in Different Aspects of the Society
Building a discourse on women empowerment and how it helps all women around the world.
21. Beating Oppression: The Implications of Patriarchy in the Society
A showcase of actual implications of patriarchy.
22. Writing About Gender Inequality: History, Culture and Society
A discussion on how to write about issues on inequality; using concepts from history culture and society.
23. The Female Liberation: Women Empowerment throughout the Years
Focusing on the rise of the female agency.
24. The Male Gaze in Media: Objectification of Women in Movies and Television
Why women are objectified through their sexuality in media.
25. Objectifying Women: From Politics to Culture
Why is objectification embedded even in politics and culture.
26. The Female as Male Trophy: Unequal Roles in the Family
Objectifying women often leads to building an image of the woman as a trophy of the man, especially in marriage.
27. Inculcating Gender Equality: The Issue of Gender in Education
How is gender embedded in the educational system.
28. The Gender Spectrum: The Plight of the LGBTQI+ Community
The LGBTQI+ struggle and discourse.
29. Marching for Pride: The LGBTQI+ and Discrimination in the Society
Why is the LGBTQI+ community still not completely accepted in the society.
30. Sexism in Hollywood: Gender Discrimination in Casting, Employment and More
Issues on gender in Hollywood as claimed by famous actresses.
31. Gender and Media: the Sexualization of the Female Identity
Why does the media opt to utilize the sexuality of the female in order to convey a message.
32. Gender and Sexuality: The Female Agency and Empowerment in the Discourse of Sex
Why is there a stigma put on women who choose to be empowered in the context and discourse of sex.
33. Why Female Sexuality is a Threat for Males
Why are men threatened when women embrace their own sexuality.
34. Gender and Sexuality in Popular Culture
How is gender and sexuality conveyed in popular culture which is also a tool of capitalism.
35. Women in Popular Culture
A discussion of popular female icons in popular culture; heroines and fairytale princesses.
36. The Male Gaze
The contribution of the male perspective in the objectification of women especially in movies.
37. The Culture of Discrimination in Gender
This gender essay topic will focus on the implications of discrimination in the marginalized gender.
38. Why Gender Identity is Important
A discussion of gender and its contribution in the formation of identity.
39. Gender Performativity
Performativity as a way to understand the dynamics of Gender according to Judith Butler and other scholars.
40. The Hope For Equality
Gender inequality as only one of the factors in the long term struggle for social equality.