Junior Fellowships are for degree candidates who at the time of application have fulfilled all preliminary requirements for a PhD or appropriate final degree and will be working on a dissertation or final project at Dumbarton Oaks under the direction of a faculty member at their own university. Graduate students who do not have the PhD in hand by the application deadline of November 1 must apply as Junior Fellows. Successful applicants for Junior Fellowships who have the PhD in hand by the beginning of the Fellowship term may be granted the status and stipend of Fellows.
Fellowships are for scholars who hold a doctorate or appropriate final degree or have established themselves in their field and wish to pursue their own research.
Summer Fellowships are for Byzantine or Pre-Columbian scholars at any level beyond the first year of graduate (post-baccalaureate) study.
Please note: Fellowship applicants in Garden and Landscape Studies should see here for additional information.
Tyler Fellowshipsare two-year fellowships designed for Harvard graduate students who have completed all departmental requirements for the PhD before the application deadline. Tyler Fellowships are governed by unique terms. You may learn more about the Tyler Fellowship, and its terms, here.
Mellon Fellowships in Urban Landscape Studies are offered by the Garden and Landscape Studies program, and are intended for scholars and designers to pursue research on the history and current conditions of urban landscapes. Mellon Fellowships are governed by unique terms. You may learn more about the Mellon Initiative in Urban Landscape Studies here, and fellowship terms here.
This page is for dissertation fellowships for 2016-17 (including research fellowships, dissertation completion fellowships, and other predoctoral opportunities).
See also fellowship discussions at theGradCafe: The Bank
- This is an initial post to start the page as in years past - please add calls and information!
RECENT ACTIVITY on Dissertation Fellowships 2016-2017 WikiEdit
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Dissertation_Fellowships_2016-2017?feed=rss&action=history
AAUW American Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- do we have to upload it? I just entered the confirmation code.
- I would like to confirm this, too. I uploaded a print-out of my web confirmation, but the upload disappeared (x2).
- I just got an email saying that only the confirmation code is needed. The system will upload confirmation when payment clears the bank.
- Does anybody know how important publications or community work with women are in deciding the success of an application?
- Community work is extremely important. As in, you will not get an award from AAUW without it.
- Does anyone know when we will hear back?
- It originally said we will receive notice April 15, but past years have been spotty...
- Last year we heard notice (well, the list was posted) on April 15, with alternate notifications coming several days later on 4/18
- Just wanted to say good luck to everyone! The wait is killing me, even though I'm quite sure I won't make it.
- Ditto the above. Trying not to bite my fingernails off between today and tomorrow. Anybody know the URL for the site where the list will be posted?
- I'm assuming the field that currently reads "Congratulations to AAUW's 2015-16 fellowships and grants award awardees" will be updated on the following page: http://www.aauw.org/what-we-do/educational-funding-and-awards/american-fellowships.
- Rejection received via e-mail 9 p.m. central 4/14 (boo). Congrats to the awardees. (x3, 4/14, 10 p.m.)
- Recieved notice that I am an alternate! 7pm eastern 4/14. Congrats to those awarded! Please do let us know if you are planning to turn it down! :)
- Received acceptance notice 4/14. I've already accepted a job offer for next year so alternates, don't give up hope!
- Thanks for posting this! I have hope. :)
- Make sure to check your spam folder I found my acceptance letter there :) 4/14
- Received an email that I'm an alternate on 4/14 at 10p eastern. Gmail originally categorized the email as a "promotion." Oh, gmail. (Does anyone have any idea how many alterates there are?)
- Another alternate here (4/14 @ 7 pm PDT). I've never been more disappointed to read an e-mail that started with "I am pleased to inform you...". Congrats to all the awardees and fingers crossed for all my fellow alternates!
- Waiting to find out my status as an alternate is way worse than waiting to find out if I got the fellowship! It's like the possibility became more real when I got the email that said "alternate." Ahhh...the waiting continues...
- My acceptance notification (I'm the decliner who previously posted above) said that applicants have until 5/15 to respond whether they accept or decline. I don't know if AAUW alerts alternates on a rolling basis or if they'll wait until all responses are in. Anyway, just wanted to post that in case the dates are helpful to anyone.
- Hi everyone, does anyone have a sense of how many alternates there are? Congrats to all accepted and alternates!
- no idea how many there are. How many are on here? (x2)
- I can count at least 3 or 4 on here. And one person posted that she is declining her offer. But who knows how many more there are not on the Wiki :) Scary stuff.
- Yes, I'm wondering if they keep a pretty large pool of alternates so that they can ensure awards go out to a diversity of fields, instititions, backgrounds, etc. If they just had a simple ranked list of women, then they might end up with too many folks from one field, for example. This is only my theory (I have no evidence), but I imagine they look at the whole puzzle again after seeing who turned down the fellowship and they re-jigsaw the group again. So, having a large pool of alternates to draw from allows them a lot of flexibility.
- I imagine you are exactly right. What field are y'all in? I'm in Anthropology--hopeful alternate :)
- communication (media studies)! :) (x2)
- An alternate from public health here, working on other (smaller) funding applications for next year but still holding out hope for AAUW!
- In looking at the previous years, it seems that some alternates always end up getting good news. Fingers crossed and best of luck!
- Another hopeful (!) alternate here. Majoring Architectural History.
- 05/04 Another alternate here. Still haven't heard anything, but really hoping for good news!
- Does anyone have a clue how many alternates ended up getting good news last year? This wait is killing me!
- I wish I had some idea too! There's always 2-3 from the wiki that get good news, but I don't know overall. The wait is brutal!
- The good news is that at least those who ahve posted on here appear to be in different fields. I think people offered a fellowship send in their decision on May 15th, so hopefully some time after that we will know.
- Are decisions by the accepted applicants due today, May 15th? Congratulations! (hopeful alternate)
- That seems to be the consensus. Let's hope that good news is coming and none of us have to wait long!
- One more alternate here in Ecology/Conservation Biology. I am surprised there are so many of us!
- any news? (5/19)
- Acceptee who had to decline here: I just today (5/23) recieved a formal acceptance of my decline via email. I'm guessing that it will take AAUW a few days to sort through all the responses and then decide the next steps, and begin to contact people after that. I suspect it may take some time. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone who's still waiting to hear!
- Thanks for the update! It's helpful!
- Received acceptance notice today (6/1)! x2
- Congratulations! What is your major? Did you get an email or snailmail ? what does this "x2" mean?
- x2 means that two other people also received acceptances. Congrats to those who did!
- I'm one of the x2's! I'm in Communication Studies. Recieved an email. This round requires that the award be accepted/declined by June 15th. Best of luck to all still waiting to hear!
- I also got an acceptance on 6/1 in Ecology/Conservation. Feel lucky to have been an alternate - seems like the odds of getting bumped up were pretty good!
- Just recieved word that I was taken off the alternate list, cultural anthropology, yay! Good luck to the rest of the alternates. 6/23/16
- Any other alternates still holding out hope? (7/15/16)
- maybe a sliver of hope. I can't quite figure out why our applications remain active till September 30. That's seems really late. Maybe it has to do with fundraising and end of the fiscal year budgets? Maybe they wait to see if more funds come in so they can offer more awards? I can't quite figure it out.
- I think it is the year-end for the grants cycle (?). Here's to hoping they can offer at least two more awards!
- Honestly, I've pretty much given up hope. Not completely though, because I still check back here every few weeks for updates!
- Received acceptance on Sep 28. It asked me to accept / deny by Oct 12. Just accepted. Architectural History.
- PS. Someone deleted my previous post, so had to type again. Please do not delete other's post. It is a good reference for next year's applicants...
AERA Minority Dissertation Fellowship Program in Education Research Edit
ACLS / Mellon Dissertation Completion FellowshipsEdit
- Their website says "Notifications will be sent via email in late March 2016."
- For reference, I heard back (rejection) last year on March 10th (2/29)
- What time?
- At 1:35pm, Eastern Time (3/8)
- Thank you. I hope to hear back from them this week
- We're officially into March... anyone started checking their inboxes/spam folders with a little bit of hope? :-\
- Will be this week the week?
- If they're adhering to the same timeline as last year, ya maybe! (3/7)
- I'm pretty nervous
- For a little lightness over the next few weeks: what are y'all doing to celebrate/commiserate? Boyfriend and I are going out for ice cream regardless of the news, but expecting to have a "drowning sorrows" sundae (with gummy worms) rather than a "I got a lot of $" sundae (3/7)
- Either case, my boyfriend promissed giving me the greatest f**k ever. (x2)
- You. are. both. genius. *in awe*
- Yes, we are. That's why we deserve the fellowship :)
- My personal statement said "This fellowship will be useful as support for my innovative approach to eating ice cream and drinking wine at the same time." so, yes!^
- I'm already drinking a bottle of wine to "celebrate" my impending failure
- Unfortunately, the vast majority of applicants won't be successful, but our dissertations will! Cheer up!
- Last year, I requested to see my reviewer's comments after I didn't get it only to discover that my reviewer totally misunderstood what my diss. was about. And not in a small way. So don't take it personally :) It's a lottery.
- Speaking from experience, if the reviewer "totally misunderstood what my diss. was about" that is probably on you for not explaining it well enough. I've had similar comments before.
- ^ Sounds to me like the point was that the reviewers are reading tons and tons of applications, sometimes very quickly, and you can only hope that your project somehow speaks to your reviewer. At this point in our PhD careers we are all very practiced at writing grant applications, but even so, the decision is often completely out of our hands.
- ^ at his point I just want an answer so I can make my boyfriend take me out for ice cream AS I DESERVE
- Exactly, an answer so my boyfriend can f**k me good as I deserve!
- Any news? This is distressing
- (I wrote this this morning and someone deleted it: please don't do it again) "Nope! (3/9, 10:57am). Honestly, I wouldn't expect anything until tomorrow at the earliest. And they say they won't announce until late March so they're really not obliged to let us know for another week or two anyways."
- No news yet (3/9/16 - 10:40 a.m. CST)
- This thread is turning me on. (x3)
- Even if we don't get the fellowship, we'll always have this.
- It seems that this week won't be the week :(
- You don't think they'd do anything on a Friday?
- Who knows. Maybe tomorrow is the day.
- they frequently notify on Friday.
- That is so they can go home for the weekend after sending them out and not be inundated with phone calls.
- Fingers crossed!
- Last few years have been a Thursday, Wednesday, and a Monday... so who knows.
- I have a feeling that tomorrow is the day. OMG, this is so neurotic
- this process IRL http://i.imgur.com/NkAsxF1.gif
- Do you think that the powers-that-be read this wiki (they must be aware of it) and enjoy watching us squirm?
- Not this week, I guess!
- Tomorrow? These people are wicked...
- Everybody is quiet here, so...
- Quet before the storm...
- I actually forgot about this over the weekend, and it was nice. Now.... blech. waiting continues.
- They are taking so long this year
- Acceptance Email Received (12:15 EST), Area: Anthropology
- Acceptance Email Received (12.17 EDT), area: Philosophy
- Acceptance Email Received (12:42 EDT), area: English (totally shocked/shaking)
- Acceptance Email Received (12:18 EDT), area: Religious Studies
- Woah these are all so official looking... any other areas or is it lunch break time? God this just blew my cool...
- I assume rejections are what's coming out next then :) Congrats to those who got it!
- ^ assuming the same - at least I get my ice cream sundae now :) shout out to my boyfran for buying. HUGE congrats to those accepted as well as those of us who slogged through a hell of an application regardless of the outcome!
- Acceptance Email Received (12:19 EST), area: Art History
- Any acceptance emails for History?
- A fellow History grad student in my department got an acceptance email earlier (I didn't apply)
- Do they generally send out in batches by discipline? In years past they've gone out seemingly at random.
- I would love it if they went out randomly instead of by batch, but all that up there looks pretty conspicuous doesn't it? a bunch of areas all e-mailed within 30 minutes of one another. (3/14, 3:12pm EST)
- Any rejections/alternate?
- Nothing here (2:42 EST) (x2)
- I guess today is the winners' day - congrants to all, I am glad you made it. And my sympathies to all who went through this gruelling application process and will soon receive, like me, a rejection letter.
- Alternate email received (12:23 EDT), area: Political Science -- any thoughts on the potential for this to actually turn into a fellowship? I'm struggling to see why someone might turn down the offer... (Awarded the the fellowship on 3/23--didn't expect this so soon (or at all, really!). Best of luck to other alternates out there!)
- Some people applying for fellowships will get job offers, so they'd likely take the job over the fellowship
- See last year's thread. I got alternate status last year and did not get an award, though others did. I wrote a post telling what I know. Reapplied this year and apparently didn't get it (again) despite extensive revision and rewriting and an article...FML. Brutal. As above, congrats to the winners and more importantly, my unfortunately doubled sympathies to us rejects.
- I know, me too. I'm sorry. (x3)
- I want to drown my sorrows in 12 pounds of fudge cake, but I can't because my blood sugar is high. FML.
- You are all heroes for giving me this thread in a dark time. Retail therapy?
- Reject here. No letter yet. IMHO Mellon-ACLS is a crapshoot. Thousands of applications and 65 awards? I'm over it. Onward. (Congrats to those who received)
- What's the rate of acceptance, do we know? I mean, thousands sounds right, but I have no idea
- "Nearly 1,000 applications for 66 awards" this year, according to rejection e-mail. So 7% acceptance-ish.
- y'all, it's a victory just to have completed that application. be proud of yourself for going through the process! reject here too (no letter yet, natch) but glad I forced myself to write all that and to clarify my project to myself.
- Where are you all finding information? Did you log in to your application? No news here, but it's just a matter of time before the rejection comes in some form
- Reject received 2:19 EST
- Reject received 2:18 EST (history) (x2)
- Reject received 2:22 EST (music history). Next destination: the bar.
- Reject received 2:14 EST (anthro). Got a chapter out of the exercise, so not all is lost! congrats to recipients!
- Reject received 2:18 EST (Spanish)
- Reject received 2:10 EST, 3/15/16 (anthro). Congrats to the winners, and good luck to all of us as we move forward and complete our dissertations!
- Reject received 2:09 EST (American Studies). Oh well! Knew it wouldn't happen anyway.
- Did anyone get any feedback on their application?
American Academy in Rome, Rome PrizeEdit
- Pre-Doctoral Fellowship in Medieval Studies (x1)
- NYC interviews scheduled via phone (1/11)
- For which stream of the program?
- Yes, for which categories? (want to know if it's silly to keep hoping; I thought it was early still) (x2)
- The above edit under 'applied' suggests it was probably in Medieval Studies, but I cannot say for sure; hopefully the lucky/talented person who got contacted will write back!
- It was for Modern - at least for that stream, they consistently call on the second Monday of the year
- General question: does anyone have a rough estimate of how many people apply to each category?
American Philosophical Society Predoctoral Fellowships Edit
CAA Professional Development FellowshipEdit
CAORC Mediterranean Regional Research Fellowship Edit
- Any news? Last year's applicants were notified on 4/14. (4/17)
- Has anybody found the stats on this one? How many generally apply and get accepted? (4/17)
- I called them on the 15th to ask about this and they were having their final meetings to make decisions that day. They said they hoped to have notifications out by the end of the month...(4/18)
- Rejected, 7 awards granted (4/19)
- Selected as an alternate for Multi-Country award. No other info about numbers selected besides standard language (4/21).
CASVA Pre-Doctoral Fellowship of the National Gallery of ArtEdit
- Are interviews happening at CAA?
- My hunch is that calls for interviews are happening today (1/19). Confirmation?
- Nothing here so far. (1/19)
- I received a call requesting an interview yesterday, 1/18.
- Congratulations! I also have a friend who received an interview request yesterday. They were told this was exceptional, since it was a federal holiday. Were you told anything similar?
- No interview here- anyone know if all calls were made? Should I give up hope? (1/20-- abroad so ahead of US time)
- So far, the story is that via Wikia, we know of 2 calls having been made on 1/18. And I'm sure both of those people are now having travel arrangements made. I'd say if you don't hear from anyone by tomorrow, just await the rejection letter (1/19)
- I recieved a call for interview, also on 1/18.
- Received a call for interview on 1/18--again, I was told that this was exceptional because of the holiday.
- Rejection received via email, 1/22 x 2
- Those who had interviews: have calls gone out with offers? (2/8)
- I was told that they would be calling Tuesday or Wednesday this week--slight delay because of CAA commitments.
- Has anyone got a call from CASVA? (02/9)
- Updating to note that calls/offers were made last week (2/11)
Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation FellowshipEdit
- The website says "by March 15" this year.
- Ugh please don't make us wait that long for the first round cut
- would guess finalists will know earlier, and the march 15 is the last day for rejections? (ugh)
- Just received notice of my status as a finalist. Fingers crossed for everyone else. (2/16) x4
- "Of over 500 applications, the top 12% have been selected and forward to the final selection committee for review... 20 fellows will be chosen in this final round."
- Rejection email received (2/16) x10
- I bet everyone's LOR writers showed that they have 'confidence in your ability to accomplish important scholarly goals in your dissertation'. x6
- Considering that we are not allowed to re-apply, what use would it be to us to follow up to find out who the finalists actually were, other than to allow the WWFF to promote itself.
- I was notified of alternate status at around 3 PM today (Friday the 18th).
- Acceptance email (3/18)
- Is there a line in every LOR saying "letters from your professors attest to their confidence in your ability to produce important scholarship?"
CHATEAUBRIAND FELLOWSHIP (STEM)Edit
- applied (x4)
- Has anyone heard back yet? Or do you know when it will be announced? (5/12/16)
- I received an e-mail May 3rd asking about another fellowship - still haven't heard back.
- I received a rejection email today afternoon. (5/16)
Consortium for Faculty Diversity (Dissertation and Postdoctoral Fellowship Fellowships)Edit
DAAD Graduate Research FellowshipEdit
Dolores Liebmann FellowshipEdit
- applied (x2)
- nominated (x2)
- "Any day now" - My admin (5/23)
- Any news? The webiste says April/May, but my university hasn't heard anything.
- Nope, nothing. Based on last year's page, I think the notifications come in the mail... How crazy is that?
- rejected (x2)
- Question for those who received rejections: how did you guys find out about that -- email, mail, someone on campus?
- Emailed , but have since received the letter in the mail. I believe letters have all gone out. (x2)
Dumbarton Oaks Junior FellowshipEdit
- Due November 1, 2015
- applied (x3)
- Has anyone heard about interview invitations yet? (12/23)
- Have not heard anything from them so far (12/30), but considering they extended the deadline for letters of recommendation into early November, they might be a bit late on schedule.
- I'm assuming I probably have to give up hope on this one at this point, unless someone has different information? I haven't actually heard of anyone getting an interview, but normally they notify before Christmas...(1/13)
- Talked to a DO board member and they said there are no interviews for the Junior Fellowship... best guess for notification is mid-March (3/3) <--- Thank you for letting us know! Much appreciated (4/3)
- Did they say there are no interviews for the Junior Fellowship in Byzantine Studies too? I thought they did interview for those unlike the other two fields; any clarification welcome. <--- This person was affiliated with Pre-Columbian studies (not sure if they have different boards?) so the requriements may be different for Byzantine/Garden and Lanscape studies.
- Has anyone heard anything new since the update on 3/3? It's mid March now and still nothing! A quick google search shows this little news blurb (http://anthropology.arizona.edu/news/maclellan-receives-dumbarton-oaks-fellowship) from University of Arizona...so clearly some people have been notified and already accepted.... guess if we haven't heard yet it's time to give up hope?
- Haven't heard anything, good Google skills there. Yes it looks like a rejection if you haven't heard by now.
@having a hard time replicating the search that leads to The University of Arizona, how did you find it? Thanks.
- You can find it via "Dumbarton oaks fellowship" or "Dumbarton oaks junior fellowship 2016" though it might not be on the first page! There's also a press release from March 1 from Temple U in the results, about someone getting a junior fellowship. Sorry folks, definitely over
- Rejection received by email (04/06)
Ford Foundation Dissertation FellowshipEdit
THE APPLICATOIN PROCESS
- Due November 13, 2015
- Supplementary Materials Due January 8, 2016
- Applied (x12)
THE WAITING GAME
- About 2 weeks until we find out? (3/8/16)
- I am thinking March 24/25 or April 1/2 (3/13/16)
- ^^How do you know 2 weeks?
- 2 weeks was based on last year's notifications. I am also thinking the end of this week of the following.(3/20)
- when I applied a few years ago, we didn't hear until the end of the 1st week of April.
- Quiet in here this year! Maybe that means less competition? (3/23/16)
- One can only hope. (3/25/2016)
- Someone on grad cafe said they heard directly that FF will be sending notifications starting the end of this week (3/29/16).
- Predoctoral fellowship awards are just announced. Anyone heard from them about dissertation fellowship?
- No news here. (3/29/2016)
- No news (3/29/16)
- Just received news (I am an alternate; 3/29/16)
- What field are you an alternate for?
- Email about alternate status recieved on 3/29/16
- What field are you an alternate for?
- Alternate in Biology (3/29/16)
- Just received alternate email. Any one have an idea on what my chances are at receiving it? Good luck to all others! Is there any way that I could request to see the reviewers comments? I am thinking about applying for the post-doc one. (3/29/2016 Biomedical engineering)
- I received my comments from last year a few months after decisions were made. It's all one page, and you are rated on a scale according to various factors. Then at the bottom there is a space where they can give comments. Only one of my reviewers did so.
- There is still no news for me! So anxious! (3/29/16)
- No news here either. This is killing me! (3/29/16)
- Alternate status received 8:40pm CT (Anthropology). From my experience applying last year, they announce winners, alternates, and then go all the rejections. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
- Rejection email received (3/29, 7:50 PT)
- Strangely, there's a glaring typo on my honorable mention letter: Global Affiars in the letterhead. Almost made me doubt it was a legit email.
- me too... And I'm definitely not in that field.
- I think everyone got that letterhead. I did as well and I am Anthropology.
- If anyone has news on the postdoc fellowship, please do share. There's no thread for it. Good luck to all!
- Has anyone received any good news yet?
- 3/29 winners conacted, honorable mentions contacted.
- Postdoc winners contacted too--I received mine!
- Received alternate notification, Philosophy (3/29, 9:40 PM ET). Question: are all honorable mentions also alternates?
THE SECOND WAITING GAME -- ALTERNATES AWAIT THEIR DESTINY
- not all honorable mentions are alternates. Your letter will say alternate or honorable mention. Could everyone that got the award and plans on declining please post such info + their discipline 3/30/2016
- Good. That means the waitlist isn't absurdly long. Also, for those who may decline, don't just let us know you will, do it.
- Does anyone know the rough breakbown of alternates vs. straight up honorary mentions? What are the chances of getting bumped up?
- Honorable mention is fairly large, alternate not as large. Based on trolling the last five or so years of data on here and grad Cafe it seems like it is very possible to get bumped to winner and it also seems like each discipline has a respective wait list. Once someone declines in a specific field, the highest person on that list gets bumped. Alternates are ranked, but ford will not tell you your place on the list. 3/30/16
- My guess is that there are alternate lists for Life Sciences / Social Sciences respectively 3/31/16
- Alternate here, I spoke with someone from ford today on the phone. They were super friendly so don't hesitate to reach out to them. The person told me a few things:
- By the week of the 10th they should have a really clear idea of where the potential alternates are going. If you call and tell them your discipline, they will tell you if the section is closed. If you want to get some closure, that is one way.
- If you reply to the notification email requesting to see your reviews, they will send you your comments in a day or two.
- The past few years there have been more alternates drawn from the social sciences than from the STEM fields.
- Interesting information above, thanks for posting your findings. I had also noticed a pattern based on posts from here and GC regarding more alternates being pulled from SS. This corroborates that. Does anyone know what the deadline for winners to accept is? 3/31/16
- Anyone declining their award?
- Called today and the woman said the deadline for winners is late April. She didn't know an exact date. She also said there is only one alternate list, which didn't make much sense. She told me multiple times I would only hear back if I was chosen. 4/1/2016
- Any word on when the deadline for winners to accept is? 4/2/2016
- Anyone else think it's weird how silent the winners are in this thread? I haven't seen anything here or on GradCafé from someone who has actually received the award. Have I missed something? 04/06/2016
- I strongly doubt no one has won. I am with you though, it is odd. I figure the winners just haven't posted because they are too busy celebrating or they just never came to this site. It would be nice to hear something.
- I received this (Environmental Engineering) and we have until April 19th to reply. Best of luck to all the alternates, I can't imagine the stress/anxiety 4/8/2016
- Just called to see if my section was closed. The person on the phone said they couldn't give out any information at all and that I'd only be contacted if awarded :( Has anyone else been able to get information about alternates? 4/11/2016
- No, I've just letting hope silently wither. If anyone does have luck calling, though, I'd also be interested to hear. 4/11/2016
- 4/12/2016 - I called today and I spoke to a very terse - --borderline rude -- woman that said she could not tell me anything regarding my status and I would only hear from them if I was selected. If anyone else has luck, let us know.
- I guess this is one case where no news is bad news..
- If the 19th is the deadline to accept, it seems alternates may begin hearing soon. I'd so appreciate, dear fellow alternates, if those who hear something will let the rest of us know so that we (or, I) may put lingering hopes to bed. Good luck, everyone! 4/14/16
- 4/19/2016- Today is the deadline to accept, based on what we know. Which is 3 weeks from when we found out. I predict that our waiting game will probably be over by next Tuesday, if not sooner. Unless alternates reject the award too and more spots open up. It seems like the pattern from previous years of bumping upon rececieving the a notice of a declined award is no more. The other option is that no one on this page or GC has been bumped from alternate to winner, or reported it, and others have been bumped. Stay cheery. =)
- 4/20/2016 - called today and I was told that all awards expect 1 were accepted. So out of 36, only one is up for grabs..... I guess that is why it is so quiet... Good luck to all and I think that 1 is not in social sciences.
- 5/3/2016 - I called today to ask if indeed the fellowship was closed, however I was told that it is still open (right now don't know if this is good or bad news), would just like to know.
- 5/5/2016 Can anyone confirm the above news ^^^? The awardees and honorable mentions haven't been published yet.
Fulbright IIE Study/Research GrantsEdit
- Due October 13, 2015
- rejection via email (not recommended for further consideration), 1/15
- Semi-finalist notification (plus request for official transcripts) by email recieved on 1/15 x2
- Finalist notification (Japan) by email on Friday 3/4
- Finalist notification (Spain) by email on 3/17
- Finalist notification (Kenya) by email on Friday 4/15
Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowship Edit
- rejection via email, 1/29
- Haven't heard anything 02/03
Any news on post doc applications?
- According to a person I spoke with earlier this week, decisions will be sent out in a couple of weeks 3/3
- This was someone at the Getty, when I called to check on the status of my application. So I would imagine nothing has actually been sent out
- I had heard a rumor that acceptances had already been sent out. I haven't heard anything so assumed that just meant I wasn't in or waitlisted. Has anyone out there been accepted? 3/3
Getty Library Research Grant Edit
Harry Frank Guggenheim Fellowship Edit
- Due February 1, 2016
- Applied x6
- 3/14/16 - Received an e-mail confirming that my application is complete. "The purpose of this e-mail is to acknowledge receipt of your Dissertation Fellowship Application.Your application is complete and will be placed in the hands of our evaluators for consideration." (x2)
- I did not receive one of these second emails, just the original email after I submitted my appliation back in January. I sent an email to them yesterday asking if there was any news. Have not heard back (3/22) edit: They got back to me a day later, so 3/23
- I didn't receive a second email either. I emailed them 3/21. Got my confirmation email today 3/22. Not sure if it was because I asked for confirmation - or if it was already on its way. Seems like they might be sending out confirmation emails as they work through the apps, rather than all in one batch.
- 3/15/16 Called because I noticed that my automated email (received January 23) confirming my submission said 2015 research grant! Mild panic, but my application on log in said submitted to Dissertation Fellowship. They just called back to say it was all set (no idea what went wrong on the automated email!) but confirmed above: apps are being sent to area specialists, and the board meets in June; decisions in 2nd or 3rd week of June.
- Thanks for the very helpful recon! Ugh, I hate how late this one notifies... :-\ three more months...
- 2-3 weeks left... what a long wait!
- Rejections are out (6/16) x3
- Has anyone gotten an acceptance? (6/18)
Horowitz Fellowship Edit
- Due January 31, 2016
- Website indicates that winners will be announced June 2016.
Huntington Library Fellowship Edit
- Applied Short Term
- Due November 15, 2015
- Website indicates that letters will be sent out before 3/15
- No word yet (3/3); last year I heard by 3/5.
- Same here (3/3). To the person above, did the Huntington send an email as well, or just the physical letter?
- All notices from the Huntington are by a physical letter from Steve Hindle.
- 3/5- Rejection Letter
- Offer received on 3/14 (in London, UK)
IHR Doctoral Fellowship (Scouloudi, Thornley, RHS)Edit
- Applied x 1
- (4/27) Am wondering about the timeline for this fellowship. Applications are due today. References are due May 4th. And interviews are in May/June. Historically, does their fellowship committee meet shortly after full applications are uploaded to decide who to interview?
- (5/20) It's been almost a month since applications were submitted. No word one way or the other from them. Anyone else?
Ithaca College Pre-Doctoral Diversity FellowshipEdit
- 02/23 - Anyone heard back yet? The notification dates in past years seem all over the map.
- Campus interviews are ongoing. Invitations already sent.
- As of 3/3 no decisions made.
- Official rejection received via email (3/10)
- 3/30- Are there any updates?
- 4/01- Still waiting for an email from them.
- 2/17 Skype interview. No update since then.
Japan Foundation Japanese Studies FellowshipEdit
- Applied (x1)
- Received acceptance by snail mail, Tues 3/22. Letter said fuller info packet would come in April sometime.
Jennings Randolph Peace Scholarship Dissertation ProgramEdit
Josephine de Karman FellowshipEdit
- FWIW, last year this fellowship was announced on April 25th, rather than the stated date of April 15th.
- 4/13/16 - I just called their office and heard a recorded voicemail message saying that the committee already met, on April 9th. Those who were not contacted on April 9th should assume that they were not selected.
- 4/13/16 - I heard this recording as well... ugh. Did anyone hear back from them?
- Nope, heard nothing...not looking good.
- anyone heard anything? rejection? alternates? (do they even do alternates?)
- anyone got accepted and wants to share some insights?
- I declined this fellowship today, so hopefully it will go to an alternate soon. I received a phone call and email on 4/9 with the news of acceptance
Kress Foundation History of Art Institutional FellowshipsEdit
- Florence, Institute for Art History
- Leiden, Art Historical Institute,
- London, Courtauld Institiute of Art & Warburg Institute of Art (applied x2)
- Received acceptance from Courtauld via email on 4/4
- Munich, Central Institut for Art History
- Paris, National Institute for the History of Art (applied x1)
- Received rejection on 1/12 (rejection, 1/26)
- Rome, Bibliotheca Hertziana
Lake Institute Doctoral Dissertation FellowshipEdit
- Application form
- Executive summary
- No longer than 15 pages summarizing your topic and its relevance for the understanding of an important question(s) or issue(s) related to religion and philanthropy or faith and giving. Please write this executive summary so that scholars outside of your discipline would not have difficulty comprehending your proposal.
- Copy of the approved dissertation proposal
- Describing the proposed work, demonstrating relevance to the field of religion and philanthropy, describing source materials and their availability, commenting on any special skills or interests you have for carrying out the proposed work, and giving a clear statement of the research or scholarly methodology to be employed.
- No longer than two pages, double-spaced, indicating the major theoretical, practical and critical works that bear on your dissertation. “Selected” means you should include those works that most clearly demonstrate your command of the scholarship necessary to write the proposed dissertation. In most cases this will already be part of your proposal.
- Detailing your chapter outline, your progress to date, and your schedule for the fellowship year. It should be no longer than one page, double-spaced.
- Three letters of recommendation
- One from your dissertation director and two from faculty members familiar with your work
- Official transcript from the graduate school which will award the Ph.D. degree
- Applied (x2)
- Notifications for this one have gone out in late March in previous years
- Rejection 4/2 @ 9:30pm, email says award has gone to Kim Pendleton, a Ph.D. candidate in American Studies at The George Washington University
Louisville Institute Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- Due February 1, 2016
- Has anybody heard anything? Sounds like acceptance emails were sent around this time last year. (4/4)
- Nothing yet. I've heard the system is still emails for acceptance, snail mail for rejections. (4/6)
- Acceptance email received. (4/11)
Mabelle McLeod Lewis Memorial FundEdit
- Northern California schools only (UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, and Stanford)
- Due December 18, 2015
- Applied (x4)
- any news?
- Has anybody received notification?
- Any body heard anything? (x8)
- Wrote coordinating person to ask when the resutls will be available; no response (as of April 22).(x2)
- still no news. The letters were sent out in the mid-April last year.
- still* no news?? (x2)
- Tried to call the program coordinator yesterday. But she did not pick up the phone.
- May 8. It seems at this point increasingly likely that the awardees were notified, and the others were not. If any awardee is reading this page, please post confirmation.
- ^or that the program has collapsed, or something has happened to the program coordinator. She was easy to get hold of earlier in the academic year. Emailed May 16th, have received no response.
- That's too bad. It is not clear whether the decision has been made or not.
- Received a response from an email to the coordinator indicating that results of the awards were already determined. Rejection. I guess many of us did not receive notice.
Marilyn Yarbrough Dissertation/Teaching Fellowship (Kenyon College)Edit
Mellon-CES Dissertation Completion Fellowship in European StudiesEdit
- Was the guy who said they got the email last Thursday just joking? I had assumed that s/he got it and the rest of us didn't and that was that. Can anyone confirm if that other post, which is now deleted, was a joke or not? Nothing on my end (4/25) EDIT: I see in the history that someone claiming to be that person said it was a joke. So it looks like we're back to not knowing anything. This is the last week of April, so presumably, we'll all find out this week.
- Nothing here either...so, we are sure that was a false alarm? (4/25)
- The person in question was clearly joking--she/he claimed to have received five awards and implied that we would now have to bribe him/her to receive one of the additional four.
- The drama in this sub is the best thing in my life. Also, I just needed to share this .
- Acceptance received, check your spam folder (4/25) x2
- Those selected - could you give a sense of what the email was like? Is there waitlist? how many Applications? How many fellowships granted? What day do you have to respond with 'yes' or 'no' by? Thanks and congratulations.
- ^ The email does not talk about a waitlist or about applications numbers. It makes no mention of total fellowships granted— it only restates the terms of the fellowship (don't take funding from elsewhere, publish in their journal, etc.). There is no specific date listed by which to reply yes or no, but the general language of the offer implies that they're expecting answers quickly. Since there seem to be waves of acceptances and it's not yet all over for everyone else, good luck! (4/26)
- I really wish people would stop joking. The pain is real. The struggle is real. x 1!!
- The pain isn't real. Statistically speaking, nobody has a good shot at winning this fellowship, given the number of applicants relative to the number of awards made. So why let the almost-inevitable rejection hurt you? It's not a comment on you, it's simply math.
- Congrats to the winners and thanks to everyone else for the entertainment!
- ATTENTION: Another round of acceptances just went out. Acceptance received. (26 April 2016, 10:35 EST)
- Rejection received 4/29 (x2)
- Has anybody else not heard anything? I am trying to decide whether I should call them...
- Any news? It is approaching THAT TIME and it appears that Mellon just issued ACLS notifications...
- Both are funded by Mellon grants, but the agencies that select CLIR and ACLS fellows are completely different.
- Anyone heard? I went through last year's wiki and saw that notifications went out around this time (3/23) last year despite the claim to April 1 notifications..
- I haven't heard a thing. So nervous right now even though it's a long shot.
- Looks like Mellon is leaving us hanging for another weekend of agony.
- Ugh! Maybe they are really waiting until April 1 then..
- Nothing here too. I don't want to wait until April 1st.
- So tmrw is April 1 and it looks like no one here has heard yet? Fingers crossed tmrw!
- Rejection received by email, 1:17PM EDT. 15 awards given out of 420 applications. (x1)
- Rejection e-mail too
- Rejection just now (12:30 CST). Blah
- Rejection email at 2.00pm today.